Sun. Dec 4th, 2022

Football Football – FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 – Group B – Wales v Iran – Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan, Qatar – 25 November 2022 Iranian players celebrate after the match REUTERS/Hannah Mckay

AL RAYYAN, Qatar – Iran scored two goals after eight minutes of stoppage time to score a stunning 2-0 win over Wales, which breathed new life into their World Cup campaign and left their opponents backside and facing a one-or-ditch. judgment against England.

After Wales goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey was sent off in the 87th minute, Iran made a remarkable final as Roozbeh Cheshmi went home and Ramin Rezaeian added another in the 11th minute of the stoppage.

Faced with the danger of being eliminated if they lost, Iran became almost unrecognizable from the side that lost 6-2 to England in the first opening, and although they left too late, they got the win they deserved.

Carlos Queiroz’s side was twice rejected by woodworkers in the second half at Ahmad bin Ali Stadium and made the most of the extra man after Hennessey was ordered to march after a horrific head-to-head fight against Mehdi Taremi.

The win brought Iran three points in Group B, two points more than Wales, who drew 1-1 with the USA in their first game, with England and the USA facing each other later on Friday.

The group goes head-to-head next Tuesday when Wales plays their old rivals and Iran faces the USA.

After the break after a tight first half, the match became lively.

The second half started with the most spectacular triple miss as Sardar Azmoun raced just to hit the post, Ali Gholizadeh curled the trail against the other post, and Azmoun directed that rebound directly to Welsh goalkeeper Hennessey.

Hennessey came to the rescue of Wales again in the 70th minute and fingered Saeid Ezatolahi’s low-range long-range shot onto the post, but was later ordered to march to prepare for a frenzied finale.

Hennessey sped out of his area, but was hit by Taremi and the goalkeeper followed him, catching him squarely in the face with his knee.

The referee initially showed a yellow card, but immediately went to the VAR monitor, and the resulting red card was inevitable.

Goals came extraordinarily late as Cheshmi smashed home with a hearty punch for Wales before Rezaeian gently lifted the ball over the goalkeeper to finish off Rob Page’s side.


Read Next

Do not miss the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 other topics, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am, and share articles on social media. Dial 896 6000.

Contact us for feedback, complaints or questions.