Officials announced that the UFC Fight Night 215 main event between Derrick Lewis and Serghei Spivac was canceled shortly before scheduled on Saturday.
Saturday’s card had already started inside UFC Apex in Las Vegas when the event was cancelled.
Cageside commentator Brendan Fitzgerald said Lewis had to withdraw because of “a non-COVID, non-weight-bearing disease.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS NEWS ON FOXNEWS.COM
Lewis looked relatively healthy during the week leading up to the game. He had a successful weigh-in on Friday as well.
ARRESTED AT JFK AIRPORT AFTER UFC LOSE ISRAEL ADESANYA MIDDLE WEIGHT BELT
Spivac (15-3) would be featured in the first UFC main event.
The heavyweight compiled a record of 6-3 inside the octagon.
Entering this week, Spivac had won five of the six games.
Also on Saturday, Miles John suggested that his coach James Krause was suspended.
“Last night, my coach at the dinner table pulled out and they said the UFC drove him away,” Johns said in a post-match interview.
Johns’ coach is former UFC fighter James Krause, who once claimed that he “made more money in MMA gambling than anything else.”
The health of UFC fighters was recently highlighted by the announcement of the death of former UFC star Anthony Johnson on Sunday. A Bellator MMA spokesperson told the Associated Press that the 38-year-old player has been sick for over a year.
As a result of the cancellation, the light heavyweight co-main match between Kennedy Nzechukwu and Ion Cutelaba has been upgraded to the main event and will remain in three rounds, according to officials.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FOX NEWS APP
If Lewis could go, this would be his third appearance of the year. In their last two matches, they have lost by knockout.