Tottenham “They urgently want more clarification from Fifa” after the club’s general director of football Fabio ParaticiThe ban in Italy has been extended worldwide.
Paratici was suspended in his home country after his former club Juventus, where he served as sporting director and later general manager, was found guilty of miscalculation.
FIFA’s extension of the ban, which was originally 30 months and only applies to Italian football, means that he must resign from his role at Tottenham.
A statement from Tottenham read: “FIFA has given us a written response late this afternoon informing us that a decision has been made by the FIFA disciplinary committee to extend the FIGC sanction worldwide.
“This committee discussion has taken place without prior notice to any of the parties involved. We urgently seek further clarification from FIFA on the details of the overtime and how it differs from the FIGC sanction.
“We would like to make it clear that neither he nor the club have any indication that this decision was made by Fifa, based on the fact that the FIGC sanction was taken on 20 January 2023 and is still ongoing, Fabio said in an interview yesterday on club channels. appeal.”
Paratici, who left the Serie A club in May 2021, joined the Spurs the following month and would seek a new manager following the departure of Antonio Conte last week.
FIFA announced earlier on Wednesday that it has extended Paratici’s ban “to apply worldwide”.
The board said: “FIFA can confirm, at the request of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC), that the head of the FIFA disciplinary committee has decided to extend the sanctions imposed by the FIGC on many football officials to apply worldwide.”
Juventus denied any wrongdoing and they and Paratici appealed the sanctions.
On Tuesday, Tottenham published a lengthy interview with Paratici, where he said that Conte’s departure was “the right decision for everyone” and that the club is “focused” on supporting interim head coach Cristian Stellini as they try to break into the top four.
The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust fan group asked the club for clarification and reassurance on Wednesday afternoon.
In response to the ban, Paratici tweeted: “This news further adds to the extremely worrying situation at the club. No manager, no football director and uncertainty about our star player and our end of season finish.
“The fans deserve to hear a clear strategy statement from THFC so that they can be assured by the board in their plan to bring success and stability to the club.”