Tue. Dec 6th, 2022

Rocket strikes leave 10 million Ukrainians without electricity

New Russian strikes hit cities across Ukraine on Thursday, disabling the country’s energy infrastructure and throwing millions into the dark as winter sets in and temperatures drop.

Repeated barrages have cut off electricity and water supplies across Ukraine, AFP reports, but the Kremlin has blamed the civilian suffering on Kiev’s refusal to negotiate, rather than Russian attacks.

AFP reporters in several Ukrainian cities said the latest attack coincided with the first snow of the season, after officials in Kiev warned of “difficult” days ahead.

“Currently more than 10 million Ukrainians are without electricity,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Thursday, adding that the regions of Odesa, Vinnytsia, Sumy and Kyiv were the most affected.

The strikes on Ukraine’s power grid follow a series of battlefield setbacks for Russia, including last week’s withdrawal from Kherson.

Key events

The UK Ministry of Defense has released its daily security briefing, saying Russia appears to be preparing for further Ukrainian incursions into Donetsk:

The ministry wrote in a tweet:

After withdrawing its forces west of the Dnieper River, Russian forces continue to prioritize re-equipment, reorganization and defense preparation in most sectors of Ukraine. The units built new trench systems near the border with Crimea, as well as near the Siversky-Donets River between Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts. Some of these locations are up to 60 km behind the current front line, suggesting that Russian planners are preparing in case of further major Ukrainian breakthroughs. It is likely that Russia will try to possibly redeploy some of the forces returned from Kherson to strengthen and expand its offensive operations near the city of Bakhmut in the Donetsk region.

The mayor of Lviv, Andruy Sadovy, posted news from the city with good news, writing on Telegram that as of 8 a.m., “electricity has been restored in almost the entire city and water and heating have been restored. The water is hot and cold.”

Oleksandr Vilkul, head of the Krivi Ri military administration, posted an update on Telegram this morning saying that while there were no attacks in Krivi Ri district overnight, the city of Nikopol was attacked:

“Two multi-story buildings, one private residential building, a solar substation, six garages, two cars and a power line were damaged.”

There were no deaths, he said.

Rocket strikes leave 10 million Ukrainians without electricity

New Russian strikes hit cities across Ukraine on Thursday, disabling the country’s energy infrastructure and throwing millions into the dark as winter sets in and temperatures drop.

Repeated barrages have cut off electricity and water supplies across Ukraine, AFP reports, but the Kremlin has blamed the civilian suffering on Kiev’s refusal to negotiate, rather than Russian attacks.

AFP reporters in several Ukrainian cities said the latest attack coincided with the first snow of the season, after officials in Kiev warned of “difficult” days ahead.

“Currently more than 10 million Ukrainians are without electricity,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Thursday, adding that the regions of Odesa, Vinnytsia, Sumy and Kyiv were the most affected.

The strikes on Ukraine’s power grid follow a series of battlefield setbacks for Russia, including last week’s withdrawal from Kherson.

Welcome and summary

Hello and welcome to our live coverage of the war in Ukraine. My name is Helen Sullivan and I will keep you posted on the latest developments as they happen.

As the first snow of winter fell in Kiev, authorities said they were working to restore power across the country after Russia earlier this week carried out what Ukraine says was the heaviest bombing of civilian infrastructure in the war, which began in late February when Russia carried out invading your neighbor.

About 10 million people were left without electricity, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said in a video address on Thursday evening. The authorities have ordered a forced emergency power cut in some places, he said.

The UN agency said a serious humanitarian crisis looms, with millions facing “permanent power outages” as Ukraine’s typically long, cold winter begins.

More on this soon. In the meantime, here’s some key recent news:

  • Russia launched another wave of rocket, drone and missile attacks across Ukraine on Thursday morning. The latest attacks mark the sixth mass attack since early October, which Ukrainian authorities say is aimed at destroying the country’s energy system.

  • The first winter snow fell in Kiev, and the authorities announced that they were working to restore electricity throughout the country after Russia launched what Ukraine said was the heaviest bombing of civilian infrastructure of the war earlier this week.

  • The Donetsk region has seen the heaviest fighting in the war so far. Russian forces have been reinforced by troops withdrawn from the southern city of Kherson, which Ukraine recaptured last week. Russian forces fired artillery at the towns of Bakhmut and nearby Soledar, among others, the Ukrainian military said.

  • About 10 million people were left without electricity, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said in a video address on Thursday evening. The authorities have ordered a forced emergency power cut in some places, he said.

  • A deal brokered by the UN and Turkey in July aimed at easing global food shortages was extended by four months on Thursday, although Russia has said its demands have yet to be fully resolved.

  • Attacks on critical infrastructure in Odesa and Dnieper were confirmed by the presidential administration and regional leaders. Three people were reportedly injured in the Odesa region, while another 14 people were injured in the attack on the city of Dnipro, according to Mayor Boris Filatov.

  • Two people were killed in last night’s rocket attack on the southeastern region of Zaporizhia, according to local officials. Three were wounded in the attack on the northeastern city of Kharkiv, they added.

  • Investigators in the recaptured area in the area discovered 63 bodies with signs of torture after Russian forces left, Ukrainethe speech of the Minister of the Interior was quoted. Russia denies that its troops targeted civilians or committed crimes. Mass grave sites were found in other areas previously occupied by Russian troops, including some with civilian bodies showing signs of torture.

  • The UK Ministry of Defense said the missile barrage that hit Ukraine on Tuesday was probably the largest number of strikes carried out by Russia in the day since the first week of his invasion.

  • US Secretary of State Antony Blinken He said So far, the US has “seen nothing to contradict” Poland’s preliminary assessment that Ukraine’s air defenses were to blame for Tuesday’s missile incident. US President Joe Biden challenged the Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyi commented that the missiles that fell on Poland on Tuesday were not of Ukrainian origin, saying that is not what the evidence suggests.

  • The Kremlin said it could not imagine participating in “public” negotiations with Ukraine. Speaking to reporters, spokesman Dmitry Peskov accused Kyiv of changing its position on possible peace talks between Russia and Ukraine, adding that the war will continue regardless of the temperature drop.

  • Ukrainian forces control about 1% of the territory in the eastern Luhansk region, according to head of the region appointed by Russia. A Moscow-backed administrator, Leonid Pasechnik, was quoted as saying that Ukraine controls the village of Belogorovka and two other settlements in the region.

  • A member of the Russian armed forces who participated in the invasion of Ukraine requested political asylum after landing in Madrid, the Guardian learns.

  • Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said he believes neither Russia nor the US plans to use nuclear weapons. Erdoğan’s comments came after US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director William Burns and Sergei Naryshkin, head of Russia’s SVR foreign intelligence service, met in Ankara this week in the first known high-level US-Russian face-to-face contact since the war started in February.

  • A Dutch court found three men guilty of killing 298 people on flight MH17. which was shot down by a Russian surface-to-air missile while flying over eastern Ukraine in 2014.