Sun. Dec 4th, 2022
FILE PHOTO: Mexican boxer Canelo Alvarez watches him during an interview ahead of his triple fight with longtime ring rival Gennady Golovkin on August 17, 2022, in San Diego, California.

FILE PHOTO: Mexican boxer Canelo Alvarez watches him during an interview before his trilogy fight with longtime ring rival Gennady Golovkin in San Diego, California. REUTERS/Kristian Carreon/File Photo

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez said he will be flying to the United States for surgery on his left wrist, which could stay out of the ring until next September.

The Mexican, who completed the trilogy by defeating his rival Gennady Golovkin for the second time last month, said that he needed surgery after his victory in Las Vegas.

“I’m going to the United States after my daughter’s 15th birthday,” the undisputed super middleweight champion told reporters after giving the keynote address at a baseball game in his hometown of Jalisco.

“There are two other opinions from two doctors and I’ll see what works best for me and have the surgery. September is probably (when I’m back). We’ll see what’s best.”

On his return, Alvarez may seek a rematch with Russian Dmitry Bivol, who is the only fighter besides Floyd Mayweather Jr to beat the Mexican.

Bivol retained the WBA light-heavyweight title after defeating Alvarez by unanimous decision in May.

Read Next

Do not miss the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 other topics, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am, and share articles on social media. Dial 896 6000.

Contact us for feedback, complaints or questions.